Minutes February 2021

Mar 3, 2021 | RRBA Meeting Minutes

Minutes of the Meeting held at Avebury House, Tuesday, 23 February, 2021

Present: Committee: V.Brown, D.Duffy, C.Given, H.Guglietta, A.Hart, J.McBride, D. Swiggs (Richmond Activator)

City Council: A.Davids, S.Holbrough 

Residents: B.Clarke, R.Crawford, S.Langley, S. Textor, D.Wells

Apologies: M.James, G.Partridge

Minutes of the Previous Meeting – accepted: M.James/A.Hart

Correspondence received

Inwards: see general business below

Outwards: nil

Have Your Say Submissions

Financial matters: there were no accounts presented for payment

Council Reports: 

  • Strengthening Communities submissions open on March 8
  • Submissions for the City Council’s L.T.P. open on March 12
  • Consultation about ward boundaries opens on March 6.


  • Methodist Mission Social Housing Project update: A letter was received from Methodist Mission Housing staff, Ursula Mullins (Tenancy Manager) and Rene Demegilio (onsite community development worker) which gave a summary of progress at the Guild Street complex and contact details should concerns arise. 11 of the 16 homes are now tenanted.
  • Gowerton Street Social Housing: D.Wells, a nearby resident, expressed some concern about the proposed water storage tanks. He was referred to the details available in the resource consent 
  • Richmond Activator Report – Deon Swiggs presented his monthly report on what he has been able to achieve so far: Asset mapping begun with Richmond Village Mall shops; Strategic businesses to be engaged in next month; Increase sought in membership and awareness of the RRBA; Ongoing Information and contacts if they are consented are being collected which will be added to the database and then membership can be requested; Seeking to identify positive stories for news and website Initiated 2 potential stories identified and further ideas canvassed; Looking to align Richmond News and We Are Richmond Blog with Initial identification of a resourcing issue and potential to strengthen content sharing between publications; Upgrade of the Richmond Village sign – initial quote for steel repair and paint received. Awaiting further quote for the internal sign board; Exploring Wayfinding extension into the Richmond Village: Street begging – Safer streets program needs to be engaged to tackle the issue – meeting with police and social agencies.
  • Richmond Road Repair programme update – Contract tenders are about to be let for the two phases of work this year: Package 1 – Chrystal, Petrie, Warden Streets to start mid 2021; Package 2- Nicholls, Dudley, Stapletons – start of 2022.

    The North Richmond Road Repair Programme submission was presented and opened for comment. It was felt that there was a need to express strongly that this programme had been a work in progress since 2018 and that the City Council were well aware of the needs expressed by the Community on numerous occasions. Concern was also expressed about the traffic volume/ behaviour and the suitability of London Street which, at present, is a major through-route between Bealey Ave and Stanmore Rd. This road is very narrow and has an uneven surface which creates high noise levels for near-by residents. It was felt that it was quite unsuitable for heavy traffic. The R.R.B.A. is to approach the Community Board to ask them forward a copy of the recently held safety audit of this street.

  • Poulton Street Tree Protection the secretary was requested to canvass street residents with the view to setting up a meeting between residents and Council staff to discuss the measures necessary to protect the trees. The state of the road surface was also mentioned and was to be included in proposed meeting’s discussions.
  • Wayfinder – the white posts were finished and quotes were to be sought for some remaining work.
  • Cycle Safety Route progress – A submission is being prepared to present this proposal as a submission to the Council‘s Long Term Plan.
  • River Road Discussions – There has been no response to a request for updated information since our January meeting. questions were raised about future access to Casa Bambini School. It was felt that a more convenient access would be from Flesher Ave thus reducing the need to create a cul-de-sac. 
  • Banks Avenue School site – the meeting was informed that the ‘first sod’ on the new building site was to be turned within the next few days and that building would begin in March. Negotiations between the Eastern Sports trust and the Ministry of Education about the future of the Spartan Block gymnasium complex were continuing.
  • Fungi Farm – it was reported that the Fungi Farm is well under way and would probably be opening in May. 
  • Other local environment activities – A group of University of Canterbury have recently been involved in a massive clean up campaign along River Road. As part of the University of Canterbury’s Big Give Day on March 6, a large group of students will be helping to spread mulch under the trees from Evelyn Couzins Ave to Banks Ave to help make the area look more activated and hopefully reducing fly tipping. 
  • Pledge towards a Penguin – the meeting was asked to consider a pledge towards purchasing a penguin at the forthcoming auction. As no financial report was available, the meeting considered it was unable to offer any pledge.

The meeting closed at 8.45 p.m.

Next Meeting: Tuesday, March 23 at Avebury House; 7.00 p.m.